ACC offers compassion and understanding to owners who relinquish their pets and a warm welcome to the animals that are being entrusted to our care. Before beginning the process of surrendering your pet, check out our surrender prevention options.
If you have a stray animal, please click here for instructions.
If alternative options do not address the circumstances you are experiencing and you still need to surrender your pet, it is important to follow the steps below:
You will need to schedule an appointment to bring in your animal so that ACC can provide you the best and fastest service. Your online appointment form will ask for general information about your pet. Pet background profile forms and veterinary records are critical to doing the best we can for your pet. The more we know about your pet, the better we're able to place him or her into a new home.
Wait for our call. This is important. Though we know you may feel you have to surrender your pet right away, ACC works very hard to ensure that we have the time and space for new animals before they come in. Bringing your pet in without an appointment can result in stress for your pet, a longer stay in the shelter, and may even negatively affect his or her chances of being placed.
- Your appointment will take approximately 30-45 minutes and will include a health exam and behavior evaluation of your pet. Your pet's placement in our adoption centers is based on a variety of factors, including the results of the exam and evaluation.
- After all information about your pet has been gathered and the animal evaluation completed, we will discuss your options with you so you can make the best decision for you and your pet.
- Complete and print out the required corresponding dog or cat background profile form and bring it, a copy of your pet’s veterinary records and photo identification with you to your appointment.
- Be sure that dogs are on leashes and cats or other small animals are in carriers.
- Cost to surrender – Please note that we will ask for a $30 donation to be put toward the cost of your pet’s care during its stay with us.
*If your animal has bitten or broken skin in the last 10 days, please let us know so we can follow the right steps to protect your pet and others.