Tens of thousands of pets come into ACC each year. Often, these pets are too young to be placed in the shelter or have special needs that require a nurturing home environment. Foster parents provide a clean, safe, loving environment for homeless pets and help them prepare to find a new forever home. After receiving foster care, these pets are healthier and happier, which means they are well prepared to be adopted by a loving family. There are many different levels of fostering available.
- The Adoption Ambassador program takes fostering to the next level. Participants at this level not only house the animal, but actively pursue the animal's direct adoption. Ambassadors provide our animals with the opportunity to meet with potential adopters within their community, as well as network their foster on social media. Our animals are routinely exposed to new audiences, many of which have never considered adopting from the shelter, or adopting at all!
- Adoption Ambassadors are also in the unique position of working with animals that had trouble adjusting to the kennel environment. By committing to their placement, and offering them the chance to live in a home until they are adopted, Ambassadors are able to showcase the best qualities of their animals, increasing the chance of them being adopted!
- Typical stay: 3-12 weeks
Ready to take the next step?
Dates for orientations vary, but take approximately 90 minutes. **Current ACC volunteers interested in fostering do not need to attend this orientation. Please e-mail the Volunteer Department if you are a current ACC volunteer interested in becoming a foster parent. Things to know before signing up for orientation:
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate in our Foster Program.
- There is limited space, so please sign up only if you are planning to attend.
- Please arrive early to sign in. We will be starting the orientation on time.
- If you are registered for the orientation but are unable to attend, please click here.
- For more information about our requirements and policies click here.