What is a #BoroughBreak?
Animal Care Centers of NYC's (ACC) 'BoroughBreak' program pairs members of the community with shelter dogs for field trips! Outings can last from one hour to all day and can include a hike, a trip to the beach, a fun car ride, a long nap in a home, or even a nice dinner in a pet-friendly restaurant. Whether you already have a dog or aren't ready to have one, it's a great way to get your pet fix in.
The BoroughBreak program was created in order to help reduce kennel stress and provide dogs with enrichment and increased visibility. Outings give the shelter valuable insight into how the dogs behave outside a shelter environment. It's also a great excuse to spend a day doing something new or exploring New York City.
Here are the details:
- Participants are not required to have any prior canine-handling experience
- Leashes, dog collars, and treats will be provided by ACC
- Please leave your own dog at home. While many of our dogs are friendly with other dogs, we ask that all BoroughBreaks are solo adventures
- We will do our best to pair you with an appropriate dog. Due to how quickly they get adopted, small dogs may not always be available
- No training or orientation needed
Click here to view ACC's BoroughBreak Guidelines!
This is a popular program and slots fill up fast! We only send out a limited number of dogs per day so sign up in advance!